You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to A.I. War. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saturday, November 7th 2009, 3:57am

Proposing marriage?

Ok, if we could get an understanding of exactly, what is the benefit of getting married in the game? It cost 15 diamonds to propose, and from what I understood, you have to pay diamonds to accept the proposal as well. But what real benefit is there that would provoke us to really pay? :?:

Saturday, November 7th 2009, 9:13am

Great question! Anyone have an educated answer?

Saturday, November 7th 2009, 8:41pm

I think that it does earn you glory points...but then what good do those serve exactly? They will get you to a higher rank faster...but what actual purpose does rank serve?

Maybe GAS's message is that marriage--real marriage--is an institution historically rooted in the procreation of children. Our modern society over the last few decades especially has come to emphasize companionship more than anything, to the point that children are secondary or irrelevant in defining marriage...and so now marriage is an empty hole into which people throw money and energy to gain little more than a fleeting sense of companionship.

Maybe that's the social commentary that GAS is giving us...or maybe I'm reading way too much into what is little more than a crass commercialization of the time-honored tradition of SB marriages? Or maybe the commercialization of marriage is the social commentary?

Even though this codifies one part of the game that a lot of people have always found annoying, the diamond cost may actually have one good benefit of cutting down on the silly SB marriages. People are less likely to leap into them if they cost a considerable amount, so maybe GAS is actually doing all of the anti-SB marriage cranks a big favor. :)

Saturday, November 7th 2009, 9:00pm

I can't even begin to guess why the Gumbies included marriage here!

Saturday, November 7th 2009, 9:36pm

But surely a person could just have a "old" marriage, for free, why would anyone pay :P

"Marriage messages" can be disabled on the SB, but not free ones..

I really dont see the point in either type of marriage, but i'll probably end up trying it if a have a few diamonds lying around..

falcotron

Professional

Saturday, November 7th 2009, 10:21pm

The first time I get hired as a merc for 15 diamonds (which didn't happen until the low 40s in English Tagoria, but happened much sooner in German Tagoria), I'm going to spend them proposing to the commander or adjutant who hired me.
Top accounts for sale: TG1 (or the gear) and AI1
Already sold: HW1/2/3/4 TG1DE

Saturday, November 7th 2009, 10:24pm

The first time I get hired as a merc for 15 diamonds (which didn't happen until the low 40s in English Tagoria, but happened much sooner in German Tagoria), I'm going to spend them proposing to the commander or adjutant who hired me.
*Cashes in a tix and declares*
:thumbsup:

Sunday, November 8th 2009, 9:36pm

I think GAS may be onto something here. It should be applied to real life. If it cost say, $100,000 to get a marriage license then people would think a little bit before jumping into it.

Sunday, November 15th 2009, 2:50pm

hmmmm........ so if you get divorced do you have to hand over your apartment :D

falcotron

Professional

Monday, November 16th 2009, 12:39am

hmmmm........ so if you get divorced do you have to hand over your apartment :D
Yes, but then you get a smaller apartment in the "cool" part of town that'll impress the younger chicks so much they won't notice your toupee.

Wednesday, December 2nd 2009, 1:07am

^Totally worth it!

Wednesday, December 2nd 2009, 1:16am

*wonders if GAS supports gay marriage?*........ anyone tried :P

falcotron

Professional

Wednesday, December 2nd 2009, 1:30am

Yeah, I believe the first 3 marriages in this world were all same-smex.

But in the most states in the US, they're not recognized, or only count as "civil unions" (so at least you can visit each other in the Field Hospital).

Wednesday, December 2nd 2009, 2:35pm

Someone should ask Mystified what the benefits of marriage, and the penalties of divorce are. After all, she's gone through both now. 8)
Infesting the human race since 2009

I make avis. Look here for ideas...
http://kitabare.deviantart.com/gallery/#Avatars