You are not logged in.

Saturday, November 7th 2009, 9:16am

Apartment

I have searched the FAQ and didn't see anything on updating your apartment. At what level do you really begin to see a return on investment?

Saturday, November 7th 2009, 9:20pm

I think it depends on what you are looking for in terms of a "return." During the first few levels, your healing with an apartment and without an apartment are going to be unchanged. At a minimum, you get 10LP/hour. An apartment earning you 1.5% isn't going to offer any more than this. In fact, it actually ends up earning less, so you're stuck with the standard 10LP/hour regardless.

Based on the simple math, then, there is no reason to raise the apartment to the first level until you have at least 667LP. At that point, 1.5% starts earning more than 10LP/hour. But this is only the case if you raise the apartment one level only. Raise the apartment up to lvl 4 when it earns 3%, and suddenly anyone with 334LP or more starts to see a slight benefit...and a considerable benefit if you've powered up on the feast in your apartment.

So in those early levels, a person could tixx up the apartment a lot and see a modest benefit from it. For most people, though, raising the house more than three or four levels in the early stages is prohibitively expensive. The 50 gold to raise the first level isn't that much, and the 200 gold to buy level 2 isn't too bad either. But 1250 gold to get lvl 5 is almost certainly better spent on skills. For the extra 1 or 2 LP/hour that a lvl 5 player would recover with a level 5 apartment, the cost is simply not worth it.

Even if someone were to tixx the apartment up to lvl 8, earning 5% per hour, for a lvl 6 player with 350LP, this is still only 17.5 LP/hour recovery, which becomes better if the person has eaten the feast, but even recovering 35LP/hour is pretty insignificant when we lose that much or more on a typical mission and three or four times that in an XP hit against someone our same level when both are at full LP.

As one moves up in level, though, the apartment starts to make more financial sense. By lvl 10, it's a modest advantage to have a lvl 5 or lvl 10 apartment. By lvl 15, it's a pretty decent advantage. From lvl 20 on, I'm guessing that a big apartment becomes more or less a necessity. The more LP you have, the more the apartment makes financial sense.**

So the long and short of it is that a person either has to raise the house a lot in the early stages of the game to see any benefit, or the person has to wait until about lvl 10 to see a small apartment offer any benefit. But given the choice between three or four extra skill points as a lvl 5 and raising the house to lvl 4 or 5, I'd take the skills for sure. The extra 1 or 2 LP/hour that the apartment might gain are inconsequential, whereas failing a mission because of low skills will cost you 100-200LP in lost health, plus another 100-500 credits in lost reward, plus lost XP. By lvl 10, it becomes painfully common to fail a mission, and gaining 1LP extra during the 5 minutes between a SF is nothing compared to winning one or two more missions.

** This is precisely the opposite from HW, and I think it is a good thing. The HW house raises LP/hour and not a percentage of one's LP/hour, so in HW there is an incentive to tixx up the house to lvl 20 early to enjoy 410LP/hour healing. Since most attacks against other players cost only about 50LP or less in the early lvls, the big house saves a fortune in elixirs. But by about lvl 80 or so, the house becomes increasingly useless. People hurt each other for 500LP in a single hit, and an hour of work earning 2000 gold dwarfs the puny 410LP of recovery from the house. AI-War fixes this problem by basing recovery on percentages, and we end up with the opposite situation--an apartment is fairly useless in early stages of the game, but extremely valuable later on.

falcotron

Professional

Saturday, November 7th 2009, 9:33pm

I agree that the healing from the apartment is almost useless in the early levels; I don't plan to even start expanding mine until the low teens.

The best use of the residence in HW and TG is to get up to 288/hour so you can suicide for xp whenever you're dead and be healed back up to 25 every 5 minutes. But in AIW, that will be ridiculously expensive at lower levels--and, unless you're behind a lot of people, it'll be completely useless.

The other thing the apartment gives you is defense. An extra 10 (or 30) DEF is worth a lot more here than in HW--and, unlike HW, you can't raise it with a stat. (RES seems to have a similar effect to DEF, but they don't add to each other.) And a level-3 camper might as well sit at home, since the wages he's giving up aren't that exciting. On the other hand, if you're camping at level 3, and some level-5 attacks you, you probably don't want to win and get 2xp; better to get smacked down to 1lp (so nobody can attack you for 2 hours) and only get 1xp, especially since you can heal back the damage for free as soon as you get online.
Top accounts for sale: TG1 (or the gear) and AI1
Already sold: HW1/2/3/4 TG1DE

Saturday, November 7th 2009, 9:39pm

Plus, if you're the top level in a world, you cant suicide for XP, because losing a same level fight gets you no XP, so it's even more useless for lower levels..

falcotron

Professional

Saturday, November 7th 2009, 10:22pm

Plus, if you're the top level in a world, you cant suicide for XP, because losing a same level fight gets you no XP, so it's even more useless for lower levels..
You mean higher levels, right? Someone who's level 10 when we're all level 20 and trying to catch up could probably get a lot of use out of suiciding (if the apartment weren't prohibitively expensive), but for us it will be useless.

Saturday, November 7th 2009, 11:09pm

Thanks for answering my question! Your responses are very helpful.

Saturday, November 7th 2009, 11:23pm

No no, I meant that, as well as the reasons blert mentioned, and in opposition to you point of XP suiciding..
I'll try again lol:

While the world is young, it is a waste of gold to upgrade your apartment because you get no "return", however, the point was made that if someone tixxed their residence they could use it to suicide for XP.

MY point was that, if you're tixxing at the start of a world, it would also be a waste to suicide, as you only get XP if you WIN a same level fight, so staying on top would be achieved easier if the gold went on stats and you stayed at full health.

You could make the arguement that the tix strategy may work if you are somewhat behind in levels, or late to the world, but people who join a world LATE are more likely to wait for a new one, than tix and attempt to catch up.

How's that?

falcotron

Professional

Sunday, November 8th 2009, 12:18am

Well, you don't have to tix to catch up.

In Tagoria W1DE, I started late, and then camped at level 6 for a few weeks, and then started power-leveling. Along the way, I built my residence to level 17. So, any time I joined a battle, made a particularly poorly-calculated attempt at 2xp, or logged on to find myself dead from DRs, I could suicide for 1xp at a time until I got bored and decided to heal up and plunder. It took a while, but I made it into the top 10 for xp.

Sunday, November 8th 2009, 12:29am

We can't all posses your skill or grasp of the game though, can we? :P

falcotron

Professional

Sunday, November 8th 2009, 12:39am

We can't all posses your skill or grasp of the game though, can we? :P
Well, there are other people who've done better than me.

Anyway, the changes to xp mean it's more useful for people at relatively lower levels who are catching up than for people at relatively higher levels who have few people to suicide. But the changes in the way the residence works mean it's more useful at higher absolute levels than lower ones. So, I guess it's just a matter of whether we're talking about relative or absolute, right?

Sunday, November 8th 2009, 1:00am

*Nods his head in an attempt to look interlectual*
Right.
:P

Tuesday, November 10th 2009, 12:41am

The defence bonus from the door is nice. My little brother (level5) attacks a level 3 with inferior stats and lost... why? because the level 3 had a level 4 door.

Sunday, November 15th 2009, 3:07pm

the apartment will make it easier for late starters to catch up as spending about 8000 credits (if I remember rightly) by about level 13 will allow about half a dozen suicide hits per hour (assuming power rations) where the higher levels will always have less potential hits due to no xp from same level (suicide hitting)

this isnt a lot of credits in the big scheme of things by that level

Sunday, November 15th 2009, 7:33pm

If you have lot's of time to play It can save you lots of $ when you get it to heal 10% , because you can do a mission and then hunt for $ until you get to enough Lp to do another, and so on . . .

It will get better as you level up, and combined with Power Rations saves horde of $ at long run :thumbup:
To be my Recruit click on the link below

Monday, November 16th 2009, 9:11pm

It can be a convenient way of spending money when you think the skill points are becoming a tad expensive.
Pretty cheap way of getting yourself a half-decent defence bonus, and as my esteemed predecessors have explained, the healing capacity can be worth the money in the long run.

Not to mention it looks exquisite to have an extravagant residence. You'll be the envy of the station! *wide salesman smile*